The 14-month EXTRA program for healthcare improvement supports teams of up to four health leaders in the design, implementation and evaluation of an improvement project in their own organization or ministry, or with multi-site teams. The program offers teams training in better management and use of evidence for quality and performance improvement.
Led by prestigious Canadian and International faculty and practice leaders, EXTRA program gives participants the skills and knowledge to become change agents in healthcare improvement. It offers unique opportunities for participants to conduct evidence-informed improvement projects in their organizations, with the goal of enhancing patient outcomes, quality of care and cost-effectiveness.
During the 14-month program, EXTRA teams carry out an improvement project designed to actively engage the team members and their organization(s) in a quality improvement initiative supported by research evidence. Team members will be building on their own experience and applying the knowledge and skills from the EXTRA program to improvement and performance issues and real situations in their home organization or ministry. Consequently, the improvement project is intended to be the main vehicle to integrate and translate the learning from the program into practice.
The program has five components:
- A half-day orientation session (via webinar)
- Three away-from-home residency sessions (up to two weeks in August 2014 at the Fairmont Mont Tremblant, up to one week in February 2015 in Vancouver and 2 days in June 2015 in Ottawa)
- Design, implementation and evaluation of an improvement project at the team’s organization or ministry
- Completion of e-learning curriculum between residency sessions
- Collaboration and network-building.
Featured improvement projects
Redesigning Ambulatory Care
Princess Margaret Hospital, Toronto
Using Evidence to Create Change at the Organizational Level
Region of Peel, Public Health
To learn more, please contact:
Senior Director, Education and Training
613-728-2238, ext. 347